Friday, January 28, 2011

Poor Human Torch



Joey Q strikes again. That tool is so desperate for attention that he keeps destroying everything that makes Marvel Marvel. But then in a few months he puts it all back and goes just kidding Just kidding. You and Jeph Loeb and Dan Dido are blights on the comic book industry. You wreck everything just to get a mainstream media pop and shit on the fans who buy the books every month. Enough already. The vampires thing is bad enough and now you have another crossover coming. Tell you what, instead of doing something how you do nothing. the stories will have more impact if they happen every once in awhile instead of every friggin month. I swear, I cannot wait until someone with some sense starts running Marvel again. And see ya in 6 months Johnny and everybody welcome Deadpool and Wolverine to the Fantastic Four because they are in every other friggin book. Is this the 90's again? is Iron Man a teenager and is Captain America wearing some stupid ass armor and changing into Cap-Wolf?

This is just another annoying stunt that Marvel is pulling to drum up some kind of interest. I really hate it when Marvel/DC think that character death is the best way to do this. Remember when they killed Captain America? Or Aunt May? Or Hal Jordan? Or Barry Allen? Or even Superman? This means nothing. As a long time fan and I do mean long time, I am beyond burnt out on this unending cycle of 'look who is dying now' or 'this event will change the foundations of the __ Universe forever'. Do you know why people don't care about comics anymore? because of shit like this. By the way, next the big Marvel Storyline is the Death of Spider-Man. Yeah it's Ultimate Spider-Man but I don't have enough room to talk about how they ruined the Ultimate Universe.

I am just saying, in the long term death can be used as an effective storytelling device. And I agree Logan's reaction to his Elf catching one in the chest was awesome but there was no hoopla for it. No poly bagged super secret release. It happened during the story and thus it has more impact. I guess I just miss the old days when there was no internet to spoil everything. I remember during the Dark Phoenix Saga when Cyclops dropped dead during the Hellfire Club portion of the story and I was on pins and needles waiting for the next issue. Sure he wasnt dead but it knocked me on my ass. And now death doesnt do anything for me. One of the best parts of the Joss Whedon's X-Men run was when Kitty got launched into space and it felt like she was really gone. Hell the story was called gone. And then 6 months later, she is back. thus, effectively removing any impact the story had. And that's my point. in 6 months when they relaunch the FF and Human Torch is popping out of his casket, this wont matter.

In closing, another comic book character has been 'killed' because Marvel can't think of any new stories. But I am not worried because the summer is right around the corner and nothing says hot like The Return of Johnny Storm! Die Cut Glow in the dark, foil embossed hologram poly bagged with 7 variant covers! Written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by J. Scott Campbell!

No comments:

Post a Comment